Sungei Thieves Market
Singapore's oldest flea market, Sungei Thieves Market, is facing an uncertain future. It could be vanished to make way for construction of the new Sungei Road MRT station. However, the market is known as livelihood for many pioneer generation in Singapore.
So what is the fate of the market and its people?
What is the future for Sungei Thieves Market?
- Beside bring up the unique history of Sungei Thieve's market, we also approach the it's historical story as tourism value.
- Half of the content are transcript from interview with "people of Sungei". It displayed a strong bond between the old, young Singaporean generation, tourist and the market in today's context.
- After define the value and meaning of Sungei Thieve's market, we look at the current suggestion its future and propose ours. Such as relocate the market to a further area but maintain the trading freedom etc.
How to capture the rawness of Sungei Thieve Market within the limitation of a publication?
- The outcome booklet was formed by real material picked from the market. Such as, plastic matt, brown paper, nylon string etc.
- There is no book signature but a stack of printed pages, "carelessly" tied up using nylon string.
- Each paper is teared out instead of a fine cut create a rough and fuzzy edge.
- By spending lots of time at the market, to record its authenticity from both seller and buyer's view.
- All images were captured using an analog camera in order to maintain the randomness and authenticity.